February 20, 2017
For immediate release
Catholic priests thankful for execution delay, seek end to Ohio death penalty
An Ohio resident and chair of the Leadership Team of a national priests’ association has written to Ohio Governor John Kasich, thanking him for delaying executions for 2017 and asking him to reduce all death sentences to life in prison without parole.
Rev. Bernard “Bob” Bonnot of Youngstown sent a letter to Governor Kasich, dated February 13. In his letter, Bonnot said he was writing personally as an Ohio resident and also on behalf of the Association of U. S. Catholic Priests. The AUSCP has some 1,200 priest members in the United States.
Bonnot asked the governor to “act in keeping with Ohio’s motto that “With God All Things are Possible” – including the conversion and transformation of persons convicted of doing terrible things to others.”
The text of the letter is attached below.
For more information or comment from the priests’ association, contact Father Bernard “Bob” Bonnot, email@example.com, or (330) 397-1257.
Or contact Sister Jacquelyn Doepker, executive secretary, AUSCP, firstname.lastname@example.org, (872) 205-5862, 200 St. Francis Avenue, Tiffin, Ohio 44883.
February 13, 2017
Governor John Kasich
77 S. High St.
Columbus, OH 43215-6117
Dear Governor John Kasich,
I write on behalf of the Association of U.S. Catholic Priests (AUSCP) based in Tiffin, Ohio. Our members stand for the abolition of the death penalty. I write personally as an Ohio native and resident.
We/I commend you for delaying all executions for 2017. We/I urge you to go a step further:
· stop the waste of state funds in the search for acceptable ways to kill people
· stop the waste of state funds to litigate time after time after time, over decades, the appeals of death row inmates for clemency
· end the risk of having our state kill accused and convicted but actually innocent persons
· make Ohio a state that exemplifies not only justice but mercy
· make Ohio a state known not only for its big river (ohi-yo) but for its big heart
· act in keeping with Ohio's motto that “With God All Things Are Possible” -- including the conversion and transformation of persons convicted of doing terrible things to others
· reduce all death sentences to life in prison without parole.
You are our Governor. Make us Buckeyes proud: set an example for all Americans and for all states.
Sincerely on behalf of our Leadership Team and Members,
Hope, Joy & all Blessings,
Fr. Bob Bonnot
Chair, AUSCP Leadership Team